Tuesday 27 September 2011

My First Freewrite

This is my first free write, that I did a week or two ago.  I think that this is the idea behind free writing, just to let your mind wander whilst your fingers listen and take notes verbatim..  I set myself a 5minute time limit on these free writes - I think that is long enough for now.    I would appreciate any constructive criticism or advice for future efforts. OK, enough introducing, here it is in it's unedited glory:


First
The very first thing that came into my head, I wrote, as now. It's said that by doing this that the subconscious can be unleashed with a fury, a storm of words hammering on the brain like a torrent. If one were to stop suddenly the words would ram into the front of the skull, the momentum stopped too suddenly to contain the velocity change, like water in a fish tank sloshing from one end to the other; The next thing that came into my head from the word 'first' was the first kiss, that special, scary time, then the heart is pumping so manically that you fear it's going to burst right out of the chest, like the alien in the film of the same name. The first kiss, the gleam in the girl's eye, getting closer, her scent, her skin, so smooth, like the finest silk spun from the finest silk worms, her eye's the colour of a clear summers day, the brightest blue sapphires, marred by the dilated pupil's, black pools engorged by the prospect of this very first kiss. The third very first thing that came into my head was the first man on the moon, when he messed up his speech, unsurprising really, the nerves he must have felt.. I wonder what he thought, as he took that fateful last/first step.. Maybe he wondered, or at least part of his mind wondered whether the moon would take his weight? Sure it took the weight of the lander, but what if they got really lucky and landed right on the edge of a big ocean of loosely packed dust? Of course the moon IS made up lots of dust, but rocks as well, millions of years of dormant serenity, endlessly falling around the planet, caught in a perpetual loop of falling at the correct speed. Well, nearly.. Actually I heard or read once that the moon is getting further away slowly bit by bit. They are meant to have put an array of mirrors on the moon, at a certain spot, and every day a man fires a laser at that spot and records the time it takes to get there and back. The time is increasing, ergo the distance is increasing. What will happen to the planet when it interferes with gravity?

7 comments:

  1. There you go! Really liked this and as I said on Facebook, somewhat concerned that mine are pedestrian in comparison! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sally, it is always a nice boost to the confidence receiving a great comment like this. I shall now head over and read yours now, I am sure you are just being modest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this too. I think I'm going to like freewriting as it allows me to witter on, something I'm usually getting told to stop doing.

    'First' is a good prompt and you obviously have a very good memory. Very descriptive and I liked the imagery with the words ramming into the front of the skull. Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Eleanor, I am glad you liked it! I was most proud of that bit myself and cannot wait to play around with it some more when I get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got in now. I love the images. Black pools engorged and dormant serenity are so good I may just have to pinch them. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Davdaw1, not sure why you cannot post as yourself. Thanks for the kind words and just remember, if you use anything, best be referencing so as not to get his with the 'plagiarism hammer'!! I'm pretty sure that they are strict in this regard! Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete