Saturday 8 October 2011

Day school

I went to my tutor groups A215 day school today.  It was well worth the discomfort of sitting in strange chairs as I met some wonderful people who are all really talented.  These tutorial schools are very handy for meeting up with other people who are in the same predicament as you, and spending some time chatting helps to get the creative 'juices' flowing.
It was also nice that there were four tutor groups together.  I got to meet people who aren't in my tutor group but who are on the same course so we all got to help each other a bit in mixed up groups for the morning session which was a nice idea.  Lunch time too was a great time for mingling and chatting - to be fair another hour of that would have been welcome as it was pleasant getting other writer's views on different genre's.
I think that the most important lesson learned today though was that we are not alone.  Also that every action, occurrence and passing scene can be written about in a way that involves the reader by using the senses in the writing.  Whether its the sound of a scratching pen, the feeling of a woolly jumper or the smell of freshly mown grass, they can all be appreciated by someone reading them as it's more than likely that they will have had these sensations at some point in their lives and can relate.

Enough blathering by me for now.  It's been a long day so time for a break.  I will hopefully be putting up some more writing of some form soon!

5 comments:

  1. I do think it's a shame there aren't more opportunities to mix like this. I don't know your circumstances, but I am doing this as well as working. It had to be distance learning rather than a local uni course as I didn't want to commit to going every week to lectures in case I couldn't manage them. I didn't think I'd value the day school if I'm honest. But I went to it, loved it and wish there were more than two now! It's not the same as online forums, to actually sit at lunch and have a chat. I'm pleased that you enjoyed yours too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame that there aren't any two hour tutorials as there are in other courses. They really help to show that there are others in the same 'boat' as you, that you aren't alone and helps break through the nervousness that can consume you.. (for every you, it's meant as me, so maybe I should use the 'posher' one!)

    My circumstances are annoying to be fair and too long a story for putting in a comment box! Needless to say, it's easier for me to do my courses online than it would be to do them in a university environment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult as on the one hand it's too much to regularly attend seminars/lectures, but on the other it is nice to mix with people in the same boat.

    You are spot on about the nerves though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing to do with nerves is use them in a positive manner.. Otherwise, it's best just to ignore them and carry on!

    I don't think that it says anywhere that you cannot make your own little study group that meets up for a chat every so often.. That could always be a handy thing. Informal tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think study groups are an excellent idea, Neil.

    ReplyDelete