Thursday 6 October 2011

A truth.

Okay so that is a weird title.  But I wasn't really sure what to call this - although I guess musing would be better.  I am not going to change it though as that would go against everything that this posting is about.  I was reading a link that was put up on Facebook, entitled '25 Insights into becoming a better writer.' In fact, here is the link and I urge all aspiring writer's to just have a read as it shows that all writer's have the same issues when it comes to writing!

One overlying rule that I took from this early on is this: Don't be afraid to write badly.  Find a way to turn off your inner editor, and just write.  Only turn the inner editor back on once all of the words are on the page.  The process of writing isn't a problem, it's the fact that we are our own worst critics when it comes to writing.  The number of times in the past that I have written a good deal of words, then deleted the whole lot 'in a huff' at myself for writing such rubbish.. well if I had £5 for every time I did that, I would be rich!

So in summation, my advice is to read through that list of snippets that other writers have given, and thank you! (Just in case by some miracle one of those writers ever reads this!)
My advice to myself and to anyone who wants it is:

  1. Just write, and don't be afraid of writing nonsense.
  2. 'Don't be afraid to write rubbish' - Pretty much the same as point 1, but so important it's worth mentioning twice!
  3. Never throw any writing away, keep it for a rainy day - you never know when it might come in handy!
  4. Leave the editing for when you are finished with putting the words on the page.  Only when the first draft is done should the editor in you come out and see the words.
  5. Don't finish the first draft and immediately start editing.  Leave the words to 'simmer' for a day or more.  (It's amazing what happens to them whilst they are left alone.  If you immediately edit, you will undoubtedly break it!)
  6. Keep calm and carry on.
  7. Make time to write, even if you don't really want to do it, try and get something down on the page.
  8. Give yourself a word limit and try to keep to it every day (this is a good one for a single story, but also good for multiple 'activities'.
  9. Don't ever stop or give up permanently. (this one is wishful thinking!)
I think that will do, I have pontificated enough and so shall finish this blog here.  Thank you all for reading and as always, if you have anything to comment or criticise or add, please leave a comment below! 

Best Wishes

Neil

4 comments:

  1. Allowing myself to write without continually stopping to edit - even if its just spelling mistakes - is a skill I need *a lot* more practice at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and I need to be so much more disciplined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Neil that just writing whether you think it's bad or good is better than not writing! For eg. I posted a story recently and lots of people gave me some really useful feedback. I was a bit scared to put it up to be honest but I'm glad I did now because some of the suggestions really made me think about what I'd written and how I needed to think about stuff. I'd recommend being brave and putting stuff up that you're not happy with. Other people can see it more clearly than you and you can learn from their insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Neil, this has been most helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Thank you for your comments on my blog ~ very helpful and I'm not offended at all. Just what I need, thanks muchly.
    Having been used to writing to word counts I can self-edit rather ruthlessly as I go and can often lose the spontaneity in my writing.

    ReplyDelete