Wednesday 5 October 2011

A 'proper' Freewrite

Here is my freewrite that I put on my tutor forums earlier today - it's the fifth attempt at getting a freewrite right.  I am posting the whole post cut and paste:


After finally getting a freewrite under my belt, I got inspired to try again.  The first effort fell flat due to a crazy itchy hand which stopped me dead in my tracks. This is the second effort which had a residue of that itchy hand but I tried to plod on regardless. Please, let me know what  you think, freewrite or freewrong?
The truth is i never left but hid under the stairs behind a panel. they searched the house and couldnt’ find me but I found a wonderful thing, a crown of spiderwebs floating about my head as I climbed a ladder against a wall to fall would hurt or possibly kill, but the thrill is the climb. A climber can hang by one finger over a thousand foot drop. must be mad to try that stunt, I can barely carry myself about the house. A house in the woods would be nice and quiet, teh river running by full of fish and a ship on the waves seeing a light house go dark just as the storm hits, oh shit! trouble looks like its about the hit like a hammer to the teeth I bet that would hurt.. nevermind evermind to mind a fid an died at the hands of a goat. a goat or a ghost, misspelled and alone in the hall of mirrows i saw myself reflected to infinity which opende a door to another universe of possibly existances. damn an itchy finger put paid to this freewrite if that is what it was and i hope that it is - wow that is a lot of nonsense that I like so much.. ah

So that is what I posted, and my tutor gave a response giving it confirmation that indeed this is a freewrite.  It's not meant to look pretty, it's not meant to make sense, or be joined or even be accurate in any constrained way.  It is just what comes out of the pen or the keyboard when given the freedom that the conscious mind denies it most of the time!

I hope that this helps whoever reads this if they are confused or not sure whether their efforts are necessarily free or not!  I must confess that I have redacted a small portion so that I don't cause any offence to certain viewers of my blog - this has in no way affected the 'freeness' of the freewrite, as the portion removed is not integral to the rest of the writing.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent Neil. An honest reproduction and jammed full of imagery. I could probably pull some strands out of it myself. There's a new idea, cherry picking somebody else's free write! Could catch on if we all go public with our warts and all efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, thanks Mike. I would like to try using my own freewrite for material before nicking someone else's efforts to be honest!

    I am glad that you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one neil...your freewrite made me see that my inane drivel is what they are looking for....just need to type some up and get them on here for feedback.....loving the "freewrongs" comment, have a few of them myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, yeah I have about 15 'freewrongs' on the laptop minimum! (not actually counting them as that way, madness lies!)
    I am currently attempting to get into the spirit required to have another go or 5 at the TMA question freewrites. Figured it best to get started at them early so that there is enough time to get all three parts in order within the time frame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! Now I get it... I need to take my thinking cap off if you know what I mean. TMA not far away. OMG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Neil! Thanks very much for posting that. I'll have to have another look at the freewrites I've done for the TMA so far and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that, very helpful. I posted a question for my tutor, and the reply was pretty much the same. Trouble is, practising the freewrite technique seems to stop thoughts coming!

    ReplyDelete