Sunday 2 October 2011

Sensory perception

Writing about what the senses tell us isn't as easy as it sounds.  Here is my first attempt at writing about the sounds that I hear.  As always, constructive comments are most welcome!  Also feel free to click one of the buttons under the posts, even if you don't wish to comment.  All feedback is helpful to me!

Sounds that you can hear
I sit here quietly, listening to my surroundings. I hear next door's children shouting and playing with the other kids in the street, arguing over nothings and kicking footballs with the abandon of youth. I also hear my laptop whirring, its constant hum adding to the background noise in the room, the sounds that are taken for granted – yet when listened for, roar with life, unexpected noise, the silence shouts.
The final sound that I hear are the other rooms in the house 'settling'. Pipes and floorboards grumbling under their own weight. The old house wheezes with a life of it's own, keeping the ghosts entertained in their eternity.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one Neil. Reminds me of my own house, especially the creaks and groans! Particularly like the use of 'wheeze', just the right word! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete