Friday 28 October 2011

Time for an update

Hello there

I figured that it's time to post a new blog just to let everyone know what I have been up to since my last post.  I handed in my assignment, nice and early - and had it marked, remarkably fast from my tutor, which is wonderful.  It has some nice advice on how to improve, and some compliments on certain aspects that I did well on.  One of those aspects was my freewrite which she claimed was really good and got near full marks on that portion of my TMA.. pity I didn't do so well on the rest of it!

I might post the Assignment for everyone to read and critique, depending on what the tutor says about publishing TMA work after it has been marked.  I am unsure right now as to whether it's allowed or not.

Another thing of note, is that I have bought myself an nice shiny copy of the 'Chamber's Dictionary, 12th Edition, with Thumb Index' - awesome doorstop and word finder!  1900 odd pages crammed full of words and descriptions of said words and their usage.  Fantastic for any budding writer who needs inspiration or clarification methinks.

Finally on this blog, I have to announce that I bought myself a fountain pen.  Doesn't sound too exciting, I grant you - yet it's a left handed version.  The nib is claimed to be for left handers, and basically I believe the ball of the nib is at an oblique angle and a nice medium size.  The pen is by a German maker called Lamy - from their 'safari' range and I bought their black ink cartridges to go with it.  (The pen is a matt black colour, so figured to get inks that more or less match.)  So far, I have been pleasantly surprised.  Not a single smudge, scratch or tear in the paper, no ink on my hand as I write either. (Lefties push the pen nib left to right so the hand naturally can come in contact with what has just been written)

I am so pleased with this pen, that I am thinking of getting a second pen for a different colour ink.  The next pen that I am looking at is a Lamy Nexx M - which I believe has a rubberised grip.  Until I get hold of one, I won't know for sure, but it has a nice look about it and if it's anything like the safari then it will be worth getting.

Before taking the risk of buying my cartridge/fountain pen, I didn't think that I would ever like to write by hand again, much preferring the keyboard and my improving touch typing.  Now however, I find that I am spending an hour or so a day writing by hand - trying to improve my chicken scratching handwriting and enjoying the tactile feel of writing by hand.  I hope that once I have written something that I deem worth putting up here, I shall type it up, or scan it onto the computer if my handwriting is sufficiently improved!

I haven't put links for the lamy pens on this blog, but if someone from Lamy reads this blog (by some miracle) and fancies getting in touch regarding sending me a Lamy Nexx M, then I will gladly change it to show links.  Heck, you never know ;-)

All the best to those who read this blog, feel free to comment and discuss any and all issues from the blog.  Until next time, best wishes

Neil


6 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,

    I have to admit to purchasing one of these pens after the Facebook discussion. I always edit by hand and a scrappy ballpoint just didn't seem 'important' enough. So I am now the proud owner of a leftie Lamy as well... With purple ink :) Its a lovely pen and writes beautifully. Pity I don't have the pretty handwriting to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen,
    I know the feeling! My handwriting is nowhere near good enough for the pen, but I think that it's getting better with time.

    I think I will order a 'Lamy Nexx M' or two now with the Purple and Turquoise inks to go with them.. Always nice to have a decent pen and the Lamy fountain pens are definitely decent, I am glad that you agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neil,

    I just got my results back very surprised that he was happy with my freewrite lol. I think we are allowed to post the TMA once it's marked as long as their are no tutor comments published. I'm considering posting mine. Received very useful feedback which highlighted things I didn't notice at all so was thinking maybe posting my TMA version then working on it and posting the revised version to see ehat people think. Hmmmm I wonder where i'm getting the time for all this, lol.

    Hope you are well
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG just realised I typed their instead of there!! Fail! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm those Lamy pens look nice bruv. There's a shop in Chepstow that stock them. May have to have a wander up there after we move to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the Lamy pens are the puppy's parts!

    My favourite now is definitely the Lamy Nexx (M) which has a lovely silver metal body and coloured top. The best part though is the rubbish hand grip which is really comfy! Next time you come over/ I come see you, remind me to bring them with me so you can have a play. The inks are a marvel too, blooming lovely!

    Am absolutely over the move with the purple, turquoise and black inks too - no smudges and my handwriting is slowly improving too!

    ReplyDelete